Chemicals That are Extremely Harmful to Pet Birds

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail
Chemicals that are extremely harmful to pet birds

Sharing a home with a bird can be tremendously fun, as pets bring so much pleasure to their owner’s life. Some species boast extremely long lives so owning one is a huge long-term commitment. Caring for birds takes time and dedication, which means doing a fair bit of research before deciding on which type of bird would best suit your lifestyle.

Birds are very sensitive to quite a few things and this includes anything that contains chemicals and other toxic ingredients. If a bird is exposed to any of these it could seriously affect its health and in the worst-case scenario, it could even prove fatal for it.

It’s extremely important to check any products used at home and which are very commonly found in the kitchen or the bathroom if you share a home with a feathered friend.

Think twice before using any type of home spray

As a general rule of thumb, it’s best to think twice before using any type of spray around the house because it could end up seriously affecting a pet bird’s very fragile respiratory system. If a bird is exposed to any type of harmful chemical, the results could be disastrous and they could even die within minutes of inhaling something bad.

That said, even spraying perfumes or any type of body lotions can be harmful to them if they are close enough to inhale the product which is why it’s so important to keep a watchful eye on what you spray on yourself when you are around your bird. All chemicals are potentially harmful to birds you need to keep this thought in mind.

Insecticides are lethal

During summer, many insects arrive including flies, and some tend to buy a spray to kill them. However, sharing a home with a bird means no more bug sprays as they are extremely harmful to our feathered friends.

If a home needs to be professionally cleaned by a pest control company, it’s necessary to remove the pet birds before any work can begin and then keep them away from home until it’s safe to bring them back that is when all fumes have completely evaporated.

Commonly available household products that could prove fatal

Most cleaning products commonly found in the kitchen or bathroom contain some chemicals and when used throughout the home, they release harmful fumes some of which are so toxic that they can kill a bird in minutes.

If you share your home with a feathered friend you need to carefully source cleaning products that are safe to use around It. You should always buy them from reputable companies that have been in business for years. It would be a big mistake to buy a product that you have never heard of and that is made by a company on the other side of the world because you never know what was actually used to make them.

The products that are highly toxic to our feathered friends are as follows :

  • bleach
  • bathroom cleaners
  • oven cleaners
  • window cleaners
  • floor cleaners
  • Nail polishes and hair dyes are dangerous for birds

The chemicals found in nail polish and dyes are very toxic to birds which means you should never keep your pet close to you when handling or using any of these. Your pet should be in another room well away from you and any fumes that may be in the air when you paint your nails or dye your hair.

It’s also very important and much safer to put a bird in another room when you want to clean the room it normally lives in and only put them away once you are sure that all the fumes emitted by the cleaning products have completely evaporated.

Things not to use if you are sharing a house with a bird are as follows :

  • scented candles
  • electric vaporizers
  • deodorants
  • incense
  • smoke from a cigarette or a cigar

Final Thoughts

If you are sharing your home with a feathered friend the best way to keep them safe from inhaling toxic fumes is to treat all common household items as dangerous to birds. However, the fragrances and perfumes you use on yourself can also be harmful to them, so it’s important to keep them away from body sprays, deodorants, and perfumes.

Finally, you should never smoke when you are close to a pet bird, as it could be very harmful and even deadly. Birds have such fragile respiratory systems and low exposure is enough to negatively impact them which could cause a bird to die within minutes.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail
About Amanda

Passionate about animals, Amanda draws her expertise from her training as an educator, pet behaviorist as well as her extensive experience with animal owners. A specialist in dog and cat behavior, Amanda continues to learn about our four-legged companions by studying veterinary reference books but also university research sites (UCD, Utrecht, Cambridge, Cornell, etc..)

Leave a Comment