If our friend was particularly good at finding this extraordinary ingredient, we can indulge ourselves in the kitchen; but can dogs eat truffles, or is it a food that puts their health at risk? Our goal is to find out together and to shed some light on it.
Whatever the food in question, it is worth remembering that before making any changes to the diet of our little furball, we must seek clearance from your trusted vet. Only they can make a complete evaluation and advise us responsibly.
Can dogs eat truffles? Neither truffles nor the resulting oil are among the prohibited foods not to be given under any circumstances to our four-legged friend.
But the same rule that applies to us humans must apply to dogs: if we are not experts in the sector, we avoid it or we need to consult with an expert.
What are truffles
It’s a fungus of the genus Ectomycorrhiza that develops at the roots of the oaks: from 5 to 7 inches deep in the ground. Known in the Mediterranean, however, it is found almost all over the world, thanks to the export of France, Spain, and Italy.
The most prized is the black truffle, also known as the black diamond. Almost everyone knows, it represents one of the finest elements of Italian cuisine, rare because it is difficult to grow. This is why it is very expensive and uses the support of hounds and pigs, even if they use of the latter in some countries is prohibited. Unlike dogs, which only locate them, pigs – although they do not require specific training – are led to eat them on site.
So, Can dogs eat truffles?
Can dogs eat truffles? Unfortunately, there aren’t many scientific studies dealing with the subject. Little is known, therefore, about the effects that this mushroom and its oil have on our four-legged friends.
The certainty, however, that the raw material is not toxic, as previously mentioned, suggests that even the oil is a potentially allowed food in the diet of our beloved dog.
There are hundreds of types of truffles and none of them are known to be poisonous. Despite this, however, only some of them are considered real delicacies to be used in the kitchen.
Unlike pigs, it seems that dogs don’t prefer truffles, even if they accidentally ingest it, we can be sure that there will be no consequences for their health.
However, if we notice any abnormal reactions, let’s not rely on do-it-yourself for any reason: we call our trusted veterinarian to arrange an emergency visit and understand how to intervene as promptly and effectively as possible.
The fact remains that anyone who is not an expert in the field must avoid experimenting with dogs.
Truffles have quickly become a very popular type of mushroom, one of the favorites of chefs all over the world. This, however, should not be confused with chocolate truffles, with which they have only the shape in common.
It is known to be rich in carbohydrates, proteins, and fibers; and it also contains saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. Moreover, it is very nutritious because it is rich in vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, sodium, and magnesium: very important minerals both for us humans and for our dogs.
A powerful antioxidant, it fights free radicals and protects against oxidative damage to cells. In short, it is a natural anticancer. Despite this, it is also responsible for the drastic increase in Staphylococcus aureus, which triggers various pathologies in humans. The point now is to understand if the same is true for our four-legged friends.
What if dogs eat other mushrooms?
Dogs can eat truffles, at least on paper, but how does it work for other types of mushrooms? In this case, the question becomes complicated, because it is known that some of them can be so poisonous and can cause death.
To avoid any risk, veterinarians generally recommend treating ingestion of a wild mushroom as if it were toxic, regardless of whether it really is or not. In short, it is better to run for cover than to risk intervening too late. If we suspect that the trip to the woods has endangered our dog’s life, we immediately call the nearest clinic.
A amanita phalloides , also known as the death cap, and Inocybes are highly dangerous fungi, both for us humans and for our four-legged friends. We have to pay special attention to them because they smell like fish, a favorite of our little and reckless furball.
When to worry
Dogs can eat truffles, but beware of poisonous mushrooms and typical signs of intoxication . Poisoned dogs need to be helped as soon as possible, and to do that, we need to know what symptoms we need to worry about. The mushrooms found in stores are known to be safe, but as always we must also evaluate the aspect linked to the quantities: we must never exaggerate.
It doesn’t matter what kind of mushroom the dog ingested, we need to look closely at it and see if has any abnormal reactions. Some of these could result in kidney damage, liver failure, and even death.
If our four-legged friend walks as if it were drunk, we need to run to the vet as soon as possible. The specialist should be called immediately and taken to the clinic at the speed of light. Also beware of any lethargy, tremors, and convulsions. Toxic mushrooms can cause vomiting, excessive salivation, weakness, diarrhea, ataxia, jaundice, abdominal pain, and even coma.
Despite the numerous toxic mushrooms in the woods, dogs can eat truffles because we are sure they are not dangerous. Consequently, even the oil should not cause concern.
However, as we do not have sufficient research on the impact of truffle oil on dogs, we should always be careful with the allowable doses. If you have never tried this food before – with the approval of the specialist – we conduct an allergy test with very small quantities. If we do not see anything strange, we can follow the instructions of the specialist, otherwise, we look for a safer alternative.
This article is purely informative, at Shelterapet we do not have the right to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We encourage you to take your pet to the vet in case of any kind of discomfort.