Siamese cats often suffer from viral infections and metabolic disorders, which significantly affects their lifespan. However, with proper care, representatives of this breed are capable of crossing the twenty-year line.
Let’s find out how long the Siamese live, what other factors affect their health, and how to delay the aging process of a beloved pet.
How Long do Siamese cats live?
Siamese cats live for 14-18 years. This is the average for pets. In the wild, felines die earlier because they are more susceptible to disease and poor nutrition. Their lives can be cut short by an accident.
Siamese cats are quite hardy because this breed was formed in Thailand, where the rainy seasons are replaced by drought and heat. These animals naturally have strong immunity, but inbreeding during breeding has greatly influenced the health of the Siamese.
Nevertheless, with good home care, they are able to live to a very respectable age – 25-30 years. Confirmation of this is even in the Guinness Book of Records.
Factors affecting health
Many different factors affect the life span of Siamese cats:
- Conditions of detention. The pet owner takes care of keeping it warm and full. Domestic Siamese cats do not need anything, do not come into contact with sick animals, they do not need to get their own food.
- Peace of mind, no stress. Pets living in the apartment can sleep when and how much they want. Unlike stray cats, they do not participate in fights for territory and live in peace.
- Food. Domestic Siamese cats receive quality food in the right amount. They don’t have to starve. Thanks to good nutrition, pets strengthen their immunity, improve the work of internal organs, so domestic cats can live longer.
- Prevention. Owners take their Siamese cats to the vet for routine check-ups and adhere to the vaccination schedule. If pets are sick, they receive quality treatment. Street cats are deprived of such care, any infection can undermine their health and take their lives prematurely.
How to extend your Siamese’s life
Before you get a Siamese kitten, you need to study the information about catteries and choose the one that has proven itself well. Professional breeders value their reputation; they cannot afford to sell animals with genetic diseases.
If the kitten has developmental defects, the owner of the cattery is obliged to inform the potential buyer about it.
Regular and timely prevention of diseases
Siamese cats have a weak respiratory system, so they are susceptible to infectious bronchopulmonary diseases. Kittens under one year old are at risk. To protect your pet from infections, you must adhere to the vaccination schedule.
At the age of 12 weeks, babies are given their first vaccinations against calcivirosis, chlamydia, panleukopenia, and rabies. Further, vaccination is carried out once a year.
Experts recommend that you do a routine examination with a veterinarian at least 2 times a year. This will make it possible to identify latent pathologies in time and begin treatment of the cat.
The health and life expectancy of a Siamese is influenced by the psychological state. Due to their nature, these animals are prone to stress. They need the attention of the owner more than representatives of other breeds. It is important for them to feel care and love.
It is important to follow the veterinarian’s recommendation for antiparasitic treatment Even if the Siamese cat is not on the walk, it can become infected with helminths and fleas. It is advisable to worm the cat 2 times a year and treat the wool from skin parasites, because they are carriers of infectious diseases.
The Siamese domestic cat lives on average 15 years if it is not in contact with stray animals that can carry deadly infections. It is undesirable to let your pet out on the street unattended. You can only walk with the owner on a harness.
Although Siamese cats live at home for quite a long time, much depends on their nutrition. The pet may have problems with the intestines, kidneys, metabolism will be disrupted if fed with prohibited foods:
- semi-finished products;
- salty, sweet food;
- bakery products;
- canned food.
Attention! If the cat is overfed, even with proper nutrition, the risk of obesity and metabolic diseases increases.
The pet will be healthy if it is fed with dry commercial mixtures for cats. They contain all the necessary substances for a full and long life. These are protein, fiber, vitamins, mineral supplements, trace elements, and amino acids.
Feeding Siamese and natural food is allowed. True, with this type of food, the owner will have to learn how to properly compose the menu. About 80% of the daily food volume should be low-fat meat – rabbit, beef, veal, chicken, and turkey.
Also included in the diet:
- sea fish – 1-2 times a week;
- cereals – rice, wheat, buckwheat;
- dairy products;
- vegetables – broccoli, carrots, spinach.
In the menu of a Siamese cat on a natural diet, mineral supplements in the form of yeast and bone meal must be included. Veterinarians also advise to solder pets with vitamin complexes with trace elements and amino acids.
Improper nutrition often causes the development of allergies, disturbances in the functioning of the digestive system, as well as pathologies of the endocrine system.
Hygiene and care
Neglecting hygiene procedures can shorten the average life expectancy of a Siamese. Therefore, it is important to monitor the cleanliness of the pet’s body and follow these recommendations:
- Bath the animal at least 4 times a year. During water procedures, you need to protect your pet from drafts. The wool must be combed out 2 times a week, and during the shedding – every day. Otherwise, the cat will swallow hairs while licking. They can cause a blockage in the intestines.
- Inspect ears and clean if necessary. If a dark brown mass is found inside the ear canal, the Siamese should be checked for infection with ear scabies. This parasitic disease can lead to serious complications in the form of purulent otitis media and even premature death (if the inflammation affects the meninges).
- Monitor oral hygiene. The representatives of this breed often develop gingivitis. With gum disease, the risk of digestive problems increases, as the pet does not chew food well. Veterinarians recommend brushing your cat’s teeth once a week.
- Keep bowls and tray clean. The dishes must be washed and scalded with boiling water daily. Filtered drinking water must be available at all times. It is recommended to clean the litter box after each visit to the animal. It should be washed with hot water once a week.
Education and physical activity
A Siamese cat will be healthy and live longer if kept in good physical shape. Not everyone succeeds in organizing regular walking, so it is worth buying more toys for the pet and installing a multi-level cat complex at home.
The Siamese will be delighted – he will not be bored when the owner is at work or busy with his own business.
It’s good if there is room for a spinning wheel at home. Then the Siamese will run regularly. Thanks to physical activity, the heart, vascular walls are strengthened, metabolism improves. All this plays an important role in the health of the cat and prolongs its life.
Scientists have proven that stress reduces the body’s defenses and shortens life expectancy. This applies not only to humans but also to animals. For this reason, the owner of a Siamese cat needs to protect it from various negative factors.
Siamese are stressed by the following situations:
- moving to a new location;
- separation from the owner;
- lack of attention and care.
If it is impossible to avoid situations traumatizing the psyche of the animal, it is necessary to try to minimize their consequences. For example, if your cat does not tolerate travel, it is worth giving it soothing drops based on plant extracts. The same must be done if a change of scenery is to be done – moving to a new apartment or traveling.
The biggest stress for a Siamese cat is separation from the owner or lack of attention on its part. The animal may lose appetite or become ill if it does not feel love and care.
Sterilization and castration
Neutered Siamese cats live longer. How the removal of the uterus and ovaries from a pet affects its health:
- the body does not wear out so quickly due to numerous pregnancies and feeding offspring;
- in cats, the risk of the formation of hormone-dependent breast tumors is reduced;
- the animal does not suffer from inflammatory processes in the reproductive organs;
- the pet will not run away from home in search of a mating partner, which means it will not get into trouble on the street.
According to veterinarians, the lifespan of castrated cats and cats is increased by 2-3 years.
When old age comes
By about 8-9 years old, Siamese cats become less active. At this age, they begin to get sick more often. Signs of Aging Siamese Cat:
- wool loses its former gloss and becomes rare;
- the pet sleeps more often than plays;
- vision and hearing deteriorate;
- claws exfoliate;
- the character of the cat changes – some become irritable, others calmer.
Elderly cats often suffer from chronic diseases, catch colds more often, and many animals have problems with the musculoskeletal system and internal organs.
With good care, the pet will live for another 5-7 years, but now you need to be more careful about its health. You should undergo a routine examination by a veterinarian more often than before – every 2-3 months.
Long-lived Siamese cats
A Siamese cat named Scooter from the American state of Texas, who was born in 1986 has lived for 30 years. This is the record-holder among the representatives of his breed. Its owner believes that the secret of its longevity lies in high physical activity and proper nutrition.
According to the owner, Scooter loved chicken and was delighted with water treatments. Unfortunately, in May 2016 he was gone.
For a cat to live long, you need to provide him with good care from an early age. It is important to maintain good hygiene, organize proper nutrition, increase physical activity, and also protect your pet from stress.
When signs of aging appear, more attention should be paid to disease prevention. However, the most important thing is to show love for the cat.