When taking out a health insurance policy for his dog, the owner has every interest in doing a little comparative study. Pet insurance companies generally offer three very specific plans to best meet all needs. Depending on the scope of coverage, reimbursement rate, and a number of options, dog insurance prices can vary widely. Let’s find out more precisely what animal insurers take into account when setting the prices of their different formulas, and how to choose to benefit from a good quality/price ratio.
Dog insurance: non-contracted rates
Veterinarians are not the only ones to freely set their prices. In the field of health insurance for dogs, no convention regulates the prices. Thus, from one insurer to another, with equivalent guarantees, there are real differences. Of course, the more extensive the guarantees, the higher the contribution. The owner must therefore choose insurance for his dog without losing sight of the quality/price ratio. In other words, the dog must be well covered, his master must not spend a fortune to insure his dog.
How is the price of dog insurance set?
To set the price of the animal insurance policy, professionals take into account the following criteria:
- The breed: some dog breeds are more sensitive than others to certain pathologies. This may result in extensive care or even surgery.
- The age of the dog: the older the animal, the more likely it is to get sick. Conversely, insurers consider that a puppy costs less in terms of reimbursements. This is why some companies refuse any new contract for a dog from the age of 8 or 10 years, even sometimes from 5 years old. There are even insurers that offer contracts with expiry dates. As soon as the dog reaches the age limit specified in the general conditions, It is no longer eligible. The contract is therefore terminated by the insurer. To avoid the risk of being confronted with this problem, it is better to turn to a company that covers the animal for life.
- The state of health of the animal to be insured: this is an important criterion on which the price depends in part to choose the best dog insurance. Moreover, in order to verify that the animal is not sick, many companies impose a waiting period during which the dog is not yet covered. The contract takes effect at the end of this period. In addition, it is not uncommon for a health questionnaire to be requested from the owner at the time of subscription, or even the production of a certificate drawn up by a veterinarian.
- The reimbursement rate: varies from 50 to 100% depending on the plan chosen. The higher the reimbursement rate, the more expensive the insurance premium.
- The annual reimbursement ceiling: any dog insurance contract specifies, in addition to the reimbursement rate, the amount of the annual ceiling. It can range from 1,000 to 2,500 $. This data has an impact on the insurance price. Note that this ceiling can be revised downward as the dog ages. This specific feature of certain insurers is specified in the contract. The same is true when a deductible is applied: in some cases, it increases over time.
It is clear that the prices of dog insurance are not set lightly. In addition to the criteria set out above, the guaranteed benefits also weigh in the price of the contribution, depending on whether the plan is basic, comfort, or complete. The more we move upmarket, the more it costs. But the dog enjoys many more benefits, whether for illness or accident. A top-of-the-range plan covers – within the limit of an annual ceiling much higher than that of less expensive formulas – current care, exceptional care, alternative medicine, preventive care.
In addition to studying closely the services covered by dog insurance, it is essential to be aware of the general conditions before taking out health insurance for your dog.
Price of a dog mutual: choose the right plan
As we have pointed out, in most cases insurers offer three distinct plan which allows a dog to be covered according to its health needs. Depending on the guarantees, dog insurance prices range between $10 and $80 per month. The ideal is therefore to find a solution that is satisfactory for the animal and economical for the owner. A task that can prove to be difficult as the specificities of contracts differ from one company to another. Be careful, however: the price of dog insurance should in no case be the sole criterion of choice.
The simplest solution to find good animal health insurance is therefore to use our dog insurance comparator. Reliable, fast, and efficient, this online comparison tool is essential for the dog owner to find an answer in less than two minutes. Amount of the monthly or annual contribution, reimbursement rate, level of guarantee, options, existence or not of a waiting period, and/or a deductible, reimbursement periods are among the essential points to compare before choosing a mutual insurance company health for his faithful companion. The ideal is to request several quotes, knowing that this is completely free and without obligation.
Finally, you should know that if the level of guarantees, the reimbursement rate, and the price of dog insurance are fundamental choice criteria, the exclusions, the eligibility conditions, and other mentions stipulated in the general conditions must also be taken into consideration. Being fully informed before making a decision limits the risk of unpleasant surprises. When the dog becomes seriously ill or is in an accident, it is too late to discover that it will not be taken care of as well as it was thought, simply because we did not take the time to read the contract before signing.