Hamsters are beautiful little animals known for their great attitude. They always behave lovely when touched gently. Fruits and vegetables are very popular with hamsters and this easily answers your questions about whether hamsters can eat bananas?
If you are serious about quality food products for your little pet then focus on the recommendations provided in this article.
Can hamsters eat bananas?
As mentioned above, hamsters mainly prefer to eat fruits and vegetables. A small hamster will always try to bite into small pieces of banana. So there is nothing wrong with the owners feeding it fresh banana slices two to three days a week.
However, the banana is intended only as a reward. Also, only give one small slice of banana at a time. Make sure the banana is not rotten otherwise the little pet could be infected with diarrhea.
It is best to serve in slices because a hamster cannot consume such a large fruit and consuming too much of it would be dangerous for your pet’s health. At the same time, banana peels are safe for hamsters in limited quantities. Always offer the peels in small pieces.
Some facts about bananas
Bananas are a widely consumed fruit in the world. Both humans and animals such as hamsters, monkeys, chimpanzees, and fruit-loving animals derive the same nutrients from a banana. This increases their overall health. Its advantages mainly consist of the following, indicated below:
Heart Health: Bananas maintain overall heart health. They also contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, potassium and fiber. Bananas are great for reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. They also improve the toxic chemicals in the body, the role of this fruit is indomitable.
Cancer prevention: An increase in banana consumption can minimize the risk of diseases such as leukemia and colorectal cancer to a significant extent. Since the banana contains vitamin C, it can effectively fight cancer that causes radicals and eliminate them completely from our body. Furthermore, the fiber intake of this fruit can filter the toxic elements from our body completely.
Blood Pressure: The consumption of bananas can play a vital role in lowering the blood pressure level to a considerable extent. The increase in blood pressure often results in a high concentration of sodium in the body and to reduce this level of intake, bananas are quite ideal.
Treating diarrhea: Doctors always recommend eating bananas for the proper treatment of diarrhea. People tend to lose large amounts of potassium from their bodies due to diarrhea. Bananas replenish the levels of lost minerals. Banana is the ideal food to consume.
Memory Retention: The tryptophan present in bananas is a particular type of amino acid that plays a significant role in memory retention, as well as lifting our moods.
Data on how to store bananas
Never force hamsters to eat bananas, as this could lead to increased health problems. So when your cute pets are not in the mood for bananas then don’t try to dispose of already purchased bananas. Instead, try to keep them in the following ways:
- When storing bananas in the fridge, keep them in a plastic container to prevent the escape of ethylene gas from reaching other parts of the fruit, and this results in rapid ripening.
- Every day, you need to keep bananas away from each other to keep them fresh and healthy for your lovely hamsters.
- Place unripe fruit next to the banana to reduce ripening speed to a considerable extent.
Disadvantages of regular hamster consumption of bananas
You are already aware that serving a slice of banana once a week will do no harm to your lovely hamster. However, some balance needs to be kept. Crossing this limit can cause the following problems for hamsters :
- The high sugar content in a banana can lead to several health problems for your hamsters, always avoid serving bananas on a regular basis.
- Banana is also known to have high calorific value and if regularly served to your dwarf hamster, it could cause diabetes.
- Excessive doses of bananas can also lead to an increase in your hamster’s physical weight which can limit normal physical movements.
Foods that must be avoided
Avoid feeding your pet hamster sticky, dry, sharp fruit. These foods could stick in the mouth and damage its delicate tissues. In this regard, avoid serving junk foods and chocolates to hamsters as both are poisonous to them.
This article is purely informative, at Shelterapet we do not have the right to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We encourage you to take your pet to the vet in case of any kind of discomfort.
Foods Hamsters Can or Can’t Eat
- Can hamsters eat almonds?
- Can hamsters eat strawberries?
- Can hamsters eat carrots?
- Can hamsters eat watermelon?
- Can hamsters eat spinach?
- Can hamsters eat cucumbers?
- Can hamsters eat oranges?
- Can hamsters eat grapes?
- Can hamsters eat peanuts?
- Can hamsters eat lettuce?
- Can Hamsters Eat Broccoli?
- Can hamsters eat raisins?
- Can hamsters eat cheese?
- Can hamsters eat tomatoes?