in

What To Do If Your Dog Get Poisoned? Here’s How To React In 3 Steps

What To Do If Your Dog Get Poisoned Here's How To React In 3 Steps

Despite all our precautions, our dogs are never completely immune to poisoning. They can ingest a toxic substance (household product, food undigested by dogs, etc.) or be tricked by malicious people who might give it meatballs containing poison in them.

In either case, we must react quickly. For this, it is important to know how to detect specific symptoms.

Here’s how to do it in 3 steps …

1/3. Observe its appearance

1. Inspect the inside of its mouth

Your dog’s gums and tongue should be a pale or more or less dark pink color. If they show a blue, white, bright red, or purple coloration, take It to the vet.

Another test: lift the upper lip, press lightly above the canine with your thumb, then release. After 2 seconds, the color of the gum should change from white to pink. If this lasts longer than 3 seconds, contact the vet.

2. Examine Its pulse

Place your hand on the left side of Its chest, behind Its elbow. Count the number of beats over a period of 15 seconds, then multiply that number by 4 to determine the number of beats per minute. If it’s over 180, take it to the vet.

3. Take Its temperature

Insert the rectal thermometer to take Its temperature. If it is above normal (between 100 and 102 ° F in dogs) and you notice an abnormal condition, consult the veterinarian. A fever doesn’t necessarily mean poisoning, but it can be an indicator.

2/3. Observe unusual behavior

1. Observe its balance

In most cases, poisoning quickly affects the nervous system. This can cause the dog to lose Its balance, have difficulty walking properly, or even standing up. If you see signs of dizziness, disorientation, call your vet.

2. Vomiting and diarrhea

Vomiting and diarrhea mean that the dog’s body is trying to reject a foreign body or toxic substance. If your dog’s vomit and stools seem unusual, take It to the vet.

3. Observe Its breathing

If your dog is panting deeply and for a long time (more than 30 minutes), a respiratory or heart problem, possibly following poisoning, may be suspected. Consult without delay.

4. Watch their appetite

If your dog has a significant drop in his appetite or refuses to eat, take It to the vet.

3/3. Maximize the chances of successful care

1. Make some arrangements that will make the vet’s job easier. Write down symptoms

Note the signs observed and the time of their occurrence. Describe them in as much detail as possible.

In the meantime, do not give your dog anything to drink so as not to accelerate the spread of the poison in his body.

2. Determine the source

Walk around the house, see if a box, jar, or bottle has been knocked over or broken open. If you suspect a particular product, read its label to find out what it is made of. Toxic products usually have a hotline to call.

3. Call the vet or dial the poison control center number

Dial the toll-free number of the poison control center in your area. Contact your veterinarian and describe the symptoms and schedules as noted previously. Follow the instructions he gives you while waiting for his arrival or taking It to his office.

4. Take It to the vet clinic

The sooner you get there, the sooner your dog will be taken care of, and the better Its chances of recovery.

Dog Clipper Tips and How To

Dog Clipper Tips and How To

WHAT INSURANCE SHOULD I CHOOSE FOR MY DOG?